Monday, May 1, 2017

Project Ratings

This semester drove me to work with new mediums and expanded my mind creatively. Although all the projects were enjoyable for the most part, this is how I would rank them:

1) Video Letter: To be honest, narrative is my favorite film form. Although still experimental, I felt as if I could tell a story through my video letter. It was also very open-ended, which allowed me to have creative freedom. I didn't have to use a certain technique or use a particular frame rate. This also made it interesting to see what others came up with. Keep this project!

2) Rhythmic Edit: Although these took forever to edit, the end results were well worth it. I enjoyed being able to showcase my talents and see my classmates as well. I got to combine two of my favorite things (film and cheerleading) in a creative way. This project enhanced my editing skills as well, which tends to be my weak spot in film.

3): Creative Crowdsourcing: I hate coloring. I'm horrible at drawing. This project was very time consuming, but the final cut is why it is placed at number three. When the project was introduced, I had a hard time picturing what the end result would look like. When we finally got to see it, I thought it was amazing. I was unsure at first about how well it would flow, but it turned out to be comprehensible. It was also ridiculously funny. I hope it gets into Cucalorus!

4) 360 Camera: This project has potential in the future, but the size of the class and only having one camera held us back. I'm sure the film department will have more soon enough, but the lack of resources is why this project ranks number four. Due to the large groups, a certain few people had to take charge. This forced some of the more shy students to take the back seat and follow what others were doing. Although I was one of those "leaders" in my group, I could tell other students were intimidated to give input, or maybe they did not care.

5) Stop Motion Animation: Tedious, tedious, tedious. This doesn't have much to do with the way the project was set-up. It's all on me. I am not meant to be an experimental filmmaker or animator. I think the end results looked awesome, and I always enjoy watching stop motions, but they are not for me as a filmmaker.

6) Direct Film Manipulation: This project ranks last for the same reasons as number five. Coloring and carving on the tiny film stock was tedious and time consuming. The direct film manipulation ranks after the stop motion, because I didn't find the results to be as rewarding. Sure some parts looked cool, but this film style has never been my thing.

Although some of the projects weren't my style, it is great to learn different forms, because they can help you in other areas of film. Overall, I enjoyed the projects, and it was a great semester!

No comments:

Post a Comment